1.13.2013

got my bearings

Just a quick post about my first few days here.



I'm working as an au pair for a six-month-old little girl who lives with her incredibly kind and funny parents in the Schöneberg neighborhood of West Berlin - a tree-lined, historic district filled with other young families. It's been cold and gray, but we've spent hours walking in the fresh air each day. Regine and Carsten, my employers and pseudo-parents while I'm here, have made me feel right at home. In addition to giving me a beautiful place to live and keeping me entertained, they've already treated me to the best meal of my life (more on that later), a city tour, and the first of what is sure to be many visits to the 6th floor of KaDeWe.

Some surprises:

  • Every person I've met speaks English. Although this is comforting, I am eager to dive into German lessons.
  • My days have been a new kind of nonstop busy that never gave jetlag a chance.
  • When Berliners hear that I'm visiting from the U.S., 100% of them have immediately responded with "just wait until summer!" I'm preparing myself for some epic shit.
  • Folding and unfolding a stroller is a bitch and a half.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...